The Maikkula Estate is a company in Oulu offering conference and celebration services. We have our own private restaurant, open only by reservation, which provides all the delicious meals and drinks for all our premises. We serve our customers in a gorgeous manor area where you can find both the old buildings restored with traditional methods and respect for the historical values as well as more modern parts matching the style. We do not charge a separate fee for our spaces: it is included in the price of food and drinks.
History of the Estate
The name Maikkula evokes memories of the good old days in Oulu. When arriving at the yard, the view is the same as in the 19th century: Fredrika’s House from the 1860’s at the river bank, an 18th century’s barn, stable and worker’s quarters Väentupa on the right and the main building from the 1830’s in the middle.
The growth rings of construction timber have been examined with microscopic precision. The oldest logs of the buildings have started growing in the Middle Ages. Looking at the state of Maikkula buildings today, the construction work of old times strikes with awe.
The estate’s Main Building and Fredrika’s House at the shore got their final form in the 1860’s when the estate was governed by the senior state officers Liljeqvist and Nordberg, the first sheriff of the parish of Oulu. The backgrounds of the estate owners, achievements of the constructors and graffiti of the painters have been accurately documented (from the beginning of the 19th century). Part of the builders’ signatures can still be found on the logs. You can still hear these interesting and mysterious tales in the halls of Maikkula.
After the great fire of Oulu in 1822 “the society of Oulu” could soon admire a manor building exceptionally large for Northern Ostrobothnia. Restaurant activity in the main building continued until 1982.
Maikkula and Oulu River have always belonged together. Oulu River brought all the wealth to Oulu via Maikkula. This primeval itinerary became the world’s leading route to the Tar Palace (Tervahovi) of Oulu from the 1730’s onwards when lives depended on the ”black gold”.
The Famous Salmon River
Catch of salmon in the 1860’s were dazzling: up to 82.000 kg. The Oulu River was the definite supply location of the “red meat” and the trips of foreign sport fishers (especially from England) have been accurately documented in literature.
Even in the poorest year the catch of salmon was more than 40.000 kg. So it is not strange that the maids and servants of Maikkula required a term in their contracts saying that “salmon cannot be on the menu more than three days per week”.
Until 1865 all registered men were allowed to burn 12 cans of burn liquor (paloviina) (12 x 2.64 l) in a year. Women were allowed to burn only six cans. This “public right” was not completely random as in 1861 425.422 liters of burn liquor was burned in Oulu. And at the time its population was 47.000!
This action had created good market for Höyrywiinapolttimo Oy in Maikkula. It started its activity at the estate grounds right by the riverside in 1870. The factory’s founder partners were an interesting group of Oulu’s leaders: lieutenant Henrik Wegelius, the county’s agronomist J.E. Alcenius, master saddler Elias Reis and skipper merchant J.H. Huovinen. The managers and superintendents lived in Fredrika’s House.